Class 12th English A thing of beauty NCERT Solutions
Think it out:
- List the things of beauty mentioned in the poem.
- List the things that cause sufferinf and pain.
- What does the line. Therefore are we wreathing a flowery band to bind us to earth suggest to you?
- What makes human beings love life in spite of trouble and sufferings?
- Why is 'grandeur associated with the mighty dead'?
- Do we experience things of beauty only for short moments or do they make a lasting impression on us?
- What image does the poet use to describe the beautiful bounty of the earth?
Class 12th English, Chpater- A Thing of Beauty Explanation
A thing of beauty
Poet: English Poet, John Keats.
This Poem in an excerpt
Theme:beauty is joy: beauty is like a treasure in are mind which provides us eternal joy. It will never fade into nothingness but multiplies wherever it returns to our mind.
Line by Line Poem Explanation:Explanation of each line in written in bold
- A thing of beauty is a joy forever it is loveliness increases, it will never pass into nothingness.Meaning:
Beauty is a thing which is gives never-ending pleasure, which keep increasing whenever we remind it.
- A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.Meaning:
beauty is like a beautiful shady tree that gives shade to all the living creatures. and lets them to go to bed happily, and provides good mental and physical health.
- Therefore, on every morrow, are we wreathing
A flowery band to bind us to the earth,
Spite of despondence, of the inhuman dearth
Of noble natures, of the gloomy days,
Of all the unhealthy and o’er-darkened ways
Made for our searching: yes, in spite of all,
Some shape of beauty moves away the pall
From our dark spirits.Meaning:
the beauty which fills us with the spirit to live. this world is so cruel and full of sadness, beauty motivates all the living beings every morning to once again live on this cruel world called earth. beauty also purifies our soul.
- Such the sun, the moon
Trees old, and young, sprouting a shady boon
For simple sheep; and such are daffodils
With the green world they live in; and clear rills
That for themselves a cooling covert make
‘Against the hot season; the mid forest brakeMeaning:
in this stanza the poet want is talking about all the beautiful things on the earth, sun, moon, old and young trees which provide shade to simple sheep, daffodils, forest, clear rills.
- Rich with a sprinkling of fair musk-rose blooms;
And such too is the grandeur of the dooms
We have imagined for the mighty dead;
All lovely tales that we have heard or read;
An endless fountain of immortal drink,
Pouring unto us from the heaven’s brinkMeaning:
here poet is talking about several other beautiful things like, musk rose with a nice fragnence, the tales of mighty warriors who laid their life for their country and humanity. poet says that beauty is a gift from the god. which is pouring onto us from an endless fountain from the brink of the haven.