Class 12th English On the face of it NCERT Solutions
Reading with insight:
- What is it that draws Derry towards Mr. Lamb inspite of himself?
- In which section of the play does Mr. Lamb display signs of loneliness and dissappointment? What are the ways in which Mr. Lamb tries to overcome these feelings?
- The actual pain or inconvenience caused by a physical impairment is often much less than the sense of alienation felt by the person with disabilities. What is the kind of behaviour that the person expects from others?
- Will Derry get back to his old seclusion or will Mr. Lamb's brief association effect a change in the kind of life he will lead in the future?
Class 12th English, Chpater- On the face of it Explanation
On The Face Of It
Author: Susan Hill
- Derry:he is a fourteen years old boy; he does not like to be with people. His face was burnt due to acid. Derry likes to hear sound of rain.
- Mr. Lamb:There is nothing that God have made that does not interest him. His leg was blown off in a war. Some kids call him Lamey -Lamb. For him bees buzz is song. Likes to read books. He do not like to shutting things, therefore his house do not have any curtain to hear the sound of air.
- Derry was attracted by beauty and peace of Mr. Lamb's garden, he entered the garden by climbing the wall.
- As he entered Mr. lamb said, mind the apples. Derry got afraid, picnicked, and surprised. He entered the garden thinking it is empty. Mr. lamb was watching him; he always keeps garden's door opened. As he came to know he became angry.
- According to derry everybody who sees his face get afraid of him, even he himself gets afraid of when he sees himself in a mirror.
- Mr. lamb teaches him that we all are same like, a growing plant is called weed whereas another flower, there is no difference they are just at different stages of life, once a flower was also weed.
- Do Mr. lamb lied that he had hundreds of friends?
- Derry says that there are some he hates, Mr. lamb teaches him that we should not hate anybody it will harm us more than a bottle of acid, it burns us from inside.
- After a long conversation with Mr. lamb he goes back to home to inform his mother about where he was.
- When he reached home his mother stopped him from going back, he tried to convince his mother by telling truth about him and not to believe what people says about him. He tried his best but his mother did not allow him. He leaves home not listening to his mother.
- Mr. lamb was climbing ladder to pick the crab apples but, suddenly ladder falls back Mr. lamb with it. At the same time derry opened the door of garden and says "you see you see I came back" but unfortunately Mr. lamb died, derry weeps