Class 12th English The Interview NCERT Solutions
Understanding the text:
- Do you think Umberto Eco likes being Interviewed? Give reasons for your opinion.
- How does Eco find the time to write so much?
- What was distinctive about Eco's academic writing style?
- Did Umberto Eco consider himself a novelist first or an academic scholar?
- What is the reason for the huge success of the novel. The Name of the Rose?
Talking about the text:
- The medium you like best for an interview, print, radio or television.
Class 12th English, Chpater- The Interview Explanation
Author: Christopher Silvester
Theme:Lasting impression of interview.
- 130 years ago, interview was started.
- For some it's great source of highest form of truth
- For some, mostly for those who are victims of the interviews, it’s illegal intrusion in their life, may damage their reputation among the people.
- V. S. Naipaul: fells that a lot of internees are still wounded and lost a piece of themselves.
- Lewis Carrol creator of Alice in the woodland: He was frightened of interviewers and never allowed them to take his interview.
- Rudyard Kipling his wife: mentioned in her dairy that a whole day was wracked by two reporters in Boston. It's an immoral, crime like a assault. He says no respectable man would ask for interview or give.
- H.G. Wells: ordeal (very bad experience)
- Saul Bellow: It left a Thumb print on his wind pipe (neck).
- Denis Brian: written that, "Almost everything reaches us through one man asking questions to another because, of this the interviewer have a position of unprecedented power & influence.
- Umberto Eco, he is a professor in bologna, Italy, who write novels on Sundays.
- This part is an extract from an interview of Umberto Eco by Mukund Padmanabhan.
- Umberto was a scholar for his ideas on literary interpretation, medieval anaesthetics.
- In 1980 he acquired a superstardom with publication of " the name of the rose" sold 10 million copies.
- He has some psychological interest he pursues them through academic work and novels like, non-violence in books for children.
- His secret:
He says, if we will remove all gaps from our life like, if we remove empty spaces from this universe, it will become as big as a fist, similarly we would have plenty time for multitasking.
- An example by Eco:
Say that you are coming to my place you are in an elevator and I am waiting for you. that is an interstice. till you reach to my floor I have already written an article.
- When Umberto showed his first doctoral dissertation (research paper) one of his professors said "Others also face so many failures than they correct them but they only mention their conclusion on the contrary he (eco) wrote about all failures faced and how he corrected them"
- At the same time, he published his dissertation as a book which meant he appreciated. at that time Eco was 22 and he understood that scholarly book should be written in the way he wrote.
- When he had nothing to do so he started writing novels this is how he started novel writing.
- He does not like to be famous only for his novels because he considers himself as a university professor.
- He was not surprised by the performance of his book "Name of the rose", but media & some publishers were cause it was very complex book 10 to 15 million copies were sold so if we compare it with the population of earth then I reach only to a small fraction of people who always like to read complex things or those who wants sometimes